splendid mola presents
free online Writers happiness Retreat
July 17-19, 2020
Join me and other writers in a free, communal writing weekend, Friday evening through Sunday lunch (with an optional Friday daytime component). You are welcome to attend for all or just parts here and there, whatever works for your time, brain, or life right now.
The idea behind this writing retreat is simple: commmunity and time. Time to write, to brainstorm, to clear your psychic space from distractions. To sit with your manuscript. To revise. To remember why you love this. To finish something. To start something. To feel refreshed. To be supported. To remember that your writing matters in the midst of all of this, and that it’s also totally okay if it’s not coming easily at the moment.
There are no critiques, no readings, no workshops. Just a chance to work on or think about your project in a supportive community of other writers working on and thinking about their projects as well. I’ll also be leading optional writer-centric yoga and guided meditations. All writers of anything are welcome, whether it’s a book or a blog, a dissertation or a business plan.
This retreat is one of the free happiness tools provided by the Writers Happiness Movement. If you’d like to become a patron or throw some money in the tip jar, thank you! You can
The retreat structure will be much the same as the in-person Splendid Mola retreats, with an opening and closing circle, plenty of writing time, optional yoga and meditation for writers, and optional shared meals.
SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA RESIDENT MEAL & DESSERT OPTION
Speaking of meals—and, also, desserts: If you live in Southern California, you can turn this into even more of a retreat with one of these two food and dessert home delivery options!
1. Chef Dan, our phenomenal retreat chef, has a catering business that delivers to Southern California residents from Santa Clarita to San Diego. He’s put together a special retreat package of five meals (Friday dinner through Sunday lunch), featuring the greatest food hits from the in-person retreats, that he will deliver to your home! Deadline to order is Friday, July 10; scroll down for details.
2. And, for certain areas of Southern California, Mara will be baking and delivering her spectacular desserts TO YOUR HOME!!! For those of you who don’t know her, Mara Bushansky is a writer who has also been my invaluable admin person on the in-person retreats. She is also a master baker who bakes us spectacular desserts for our last night’s party. For this retreat, she will be baking and dropping off a small menu of desserts for those who live within a radius of her home in Los Angeles. If you’re interested, register for the retreat and keep your eyes out for an email with dessert ordering information!
(All times are Pacific Standard)
Friday, July 17
5 – 6 pm: Opening circle
6 – 7 pm: Optional small group dinner “tables” (5-6 people per “table,” also known as “Zoom breakout rooms”)
7 pm – onward: Whatever best serves you: write, chill, sleep. Or, hang out and chat with the other writers at your dinner table.
* For those who would like to have writing time during the day on Friday, there will be an optional early start to the retreat; schedule coming soon.
Saturday, July 18
8 – 9 am: Intermediate Vinyasa Flow Yoga for writers
9:15 am – 10:10 am: Optional small-group breakfast “tables”
10:10 am – 10:30 am: Guided meditation for writers
10:30 am onward: writing time!
5:15 pm – 6:15 pm: Gentle/Restorative/ Beginning Yoga for writers
6:30 pm – 7:30 pm: Optional small-group dinner “tables”
7:30 pm – 8:30 pm: Writers’ Cocktail/Dessert/Coffee hour. Grab your favorite beverage and snacks and come hang out!
Sunday, July 19
9 am – 9:30 am: Gentle Morning Yoga (30 minutes)
9:30 – 12: writing time!
12 – 1:30 pm: Lunch and Closing Circle
Southern California Residents:
FEED YOUR RETREAT WITH AMAZING MEALS DELIVERED FROM CHEF DAN!
ORDERS MUST BE PLACED BY
FRIDAY, JULY 10
Chef Dan is the chef extraordinaire for our in-person retreats, and he’s designed a special menu just for this online retreat. Order just for yourself or for your whole family (so no one asks you to make food while you’re on retreat).
His food is incredible: delicious, organic, healthy, and made with so much care. All meals will be delivered on Friday, July 17, by 5 pm, freshly made. Just re-heat according to his included instructions, and enjoy!
• Choose from: Omnivore, Vegetarian + Fish, or Straight Vegetarian. Apologies that we don’t have a vegan option this time.
• Meals Include: Friday dinner; Saturday breakfast, lunch, and dinner; and Sunday lunch.
Usually we’d have a fixed menu, but with shopping being what it is these days, we’re a little at the mercy of what’s available. Here’s a sampling of what he’s planning, if the grocery gods are willing:
• Pesto crusted salmon
• Roasted veggies
• Parmesan mashed potatoes
• Jackfruit and brown rice
• Grain bowls with chicken or veggie protein
• Pasta with red sauce
• Kale Caesar & green salads
• Spinach a’la Dan
• Chef Dan’s paleo key lime pie (so so so so good)
• Veggie & Cheese Frittata
• Bacon & veggie bacon
• Egg Cups with Kale
• Coconut flour blueberry muffins (gluten- and dairy-free)
• Almond Butter banana muffins (gluten- and dairy-free)
• Protein pancakes
• Breakfast potatoes
COST FOR ALL FIVE RETREAT MEALS:
$120, which includes delivery
We need a minimum of 10 orders to make this worthwhile for Dan. As a note, Dan is a local, small business, and every order helps him stay in business during this time.
Orders must be placed by Friday, July 10!
1. Email Dan and tell him you’d like the Splendid Mola/Writers Happiness retreat meal plan: email@example.com
Make sure to include your dietary request (omnivore, veggie + fish, or straight vegetarian and how many of these packages you’d like (just you, or you and others). No need to include payment info in this first email.
2. Dan will confirm with you either way when he knows there are enough orders. He will take all your delivery and payment information at that time.
3. If you’d prefer a Keto, Paleo, or other diet, you can order directly through Chef Dan’s business, Paleozone. (Orders through his website will not count toward the 10 we need for this retreat, but they still support Dan and get you incredible food delivered to your door—even when there’s no retreat!)
4. Get your food from Chef Dan and enjoy!
The Writers Happiness Movement grew from wanting to live in a world where happiness, kindness, and the arts matter more than money. So we’re building it.
Know a writer who could use a little boost? The Writers Happiness Movement sends writers tiny cash infusions via smail mail, tucked in cool artist-designed cards.
Want to live in a world where joy, kindness, and writers are valued? Us too. Become a patron of writerly happiness at $5/month, and we’ll do the rest to make it all happen.